November is my favorite month. Not only does it officially signify fall, and we get to have Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday), but it’s also the month in which my daughter was born. And, November is National Novel Writing Month. So, it’s a good month all the way around.

November was also good for my writing. As a recap, I typed 21,405 new words in October, for a total of 125,593 words since May 2017. Manuscript-wise, I was working on chapter 25 of my current Work In Progress (WIP).

Although I didn’t participate in NaNoWriMo this year, I did promise to try to push my writing output as a way to celebrate the month with my fellow writers. So how did my November stats stack up?

November 2017

  • Wrote 19,354 new words on my current WIP
  • Finished my second novel!!! Whoo Hoo! It clocked in at 31 chapters, and 58,269 words for the first draft.
  • Received beta-reader feedback on Dangerous Contracts
  • Began what is hopefully my last round of major edits on Dangerous Contracts
  • Decided to add my Dangerous Contracts and blog post edits into my monthly word counts. I added 4,339 words with editing, and 1,112 words from blog posts, giving me a total of 24,815 words for the month
  • Increased my average words per hour from 708 in October to 809 in November. Realised this is my creation-writing speed. My editing-writing wordcount is often much higher.
  • Tried to be more focused this month and it paid off. I wrote 3,410 more words in November than October.
  • Total words since May 2017: 152,983

One of my major hurdles this month was finishing my second novel. I ended up re-writing the second to the last chapter three times over the span of a week and a half, and I’m still not entirely happy with it. That’s also the sentiment about this first draft – I’m not satisfied with it. But that’s the thing about first drafts; they don’t have to be good, they just have to be done so that you can start the process of figuring out the shape of the story you have before you.

So far, December has started off with a bang. Now that my second novel is finished, it needs to simmer for a bit, which means it’s time to go back and finish up Dangerous Contracts. I received some helpful beta reader feedback about it, with several readers pointing to the same issues, so I’m reworking a few things. Aside from adding components to clear up a few questions, I’m also shifting chapter orders and thinking about story structure during this round of edits. This has resulted in a dramatic shift in the story’s events, but in the end I think it will be a stronger piece.

That said, I’m really hoping I can get it all cleaned up, and out in the early part of 2018. It’s time for Dangerous Contracts to get off of my computer and out into the world for others to enjoy.

So that’s the focus for the next month (or two, or three), clean up and finalize Dangerous Contracts to get it published, and really learn what this self-publishing thing is all about. It’s time to get my toes wet.